Monday, April 4, 2011

VMware: “Failed to read the upgrade package metadata.xml” upgrading to ESXi 4.1

I was upgrading my ESXi 4.0 Update 2 host to ESXi 4.1 with “VMware vSphere Host Update Utility”, I downloaded the “ESXi 4.1 (upgrade ZIP from ESXi 4.0)” file and selected this package to upgrade the host. After validating the upgrade package I received this error:
Failed to read the upgrade package metadata: Could not find file metadata.xml
image

I’ve checked the MD5 checksum.. it was correct.. I downloaded again the upgrade package from the VMware site.. still this warning..
Solution:
ESXi doesn’t support SSH shell or, but there is a “hack” to connect the console or connect over SSH for the command line interface. Check: http://blog.vmpros.nl/2008/12/25/vmwareesxi-35-does-ship-with-the-ability-to-run-ssh/
With my VI Client I connected the datastore and uploaded the upgrade package in a new created folder called: “upgrade”

image

- Put the ESXi host in maintenance mode ^ 

image

- Connect the console and browse the /vmfs/volumes/[datastore01]/upgrade/ path^

image

– Give the command: “esxupdate update –m metadata.zip” and the upgrade from ESXi 4.0 Update 2 to ESXi 4.1 will be installed.. reboot your host ^


image

My ESXi4.0 U2 is succesfully upgraded to ESXi 4.1 :D

No comments:

Post a Comment